Linking Amazon Alexa voice service to your Kirio system
To use Kirio with Alexa, you must have the following:
- Any Alexa compatible device such as the Amazon Echo, Amazon Echo Dot, Amazon Echo Show or FireTV with a Voice Remote.
- A properly configured device. (see Getting Started with Echo)
- A Kirio connected to the Internet.
- The latest Kirio app for Android or iOS already paired with Kirio with a “Full control” profile.
- If you have multiple Kirio locations, open the Kirio app and select the one you'd like to link with Alexa.
- Using the Alexa app, navigate to Menu > Skills and search for Kirio.
Tap the search result for the Kirio skill and then ENABLE.
- The same requirements as given above will be shown. Tap on Continue.
Tap on Open the Kirio app to link account to link your paired device with Alexa.
The Kirio app will now open and confirm that you want to pair with Alexa. Tap on Approve.
Now, return to the Alexa app to complete the setup process by accepting what the voice system will control in your Kirio system. Tap on Allow.
Either verbally ask, "Alexa, discover devices" or tap on Discover devices.
These examples will vary depending on the rooms and device labels you have.
Look within the Kirio app to see the proper label names as Alexa will not recognize any arbitrary commands!
- "Alexa, turn on vacation"
- "Alexa, turn on away"
"Alexa, turn on kitchen lights"
"Alexa, dim the living room lights to 20 percent"
"Alexa, set the dining room lights to blue"
Controlling heating and cooling
- "Alexa, set the living room minisplit to 72 degrees"
- "Alexa, what temperature is the kitchen thermostat set to?"
"Alexa, is the entry door locked?"
"Alexa, lock the entry door"
Where are my newly created scenarios or added devices?
Whenever you make changes to your Kirio system (room name change, add new device, add/remove scenarios) via the app, re-run a discovery either via the Alexa app or simply say "Alexa, discover devices."
What if the device names or rooms don’t make any sense or make using voice difficult?
You will need to be a Master to rename your devices and rooms. Since Kirio can control similarly named devices in multiple rooms, all the controls will have the location prefixed to the device name.
For example, Switch 1 in Living room and Bedroom will be named in Alexa as Living room Switch 1 and Bedroom Switch 1.
Make sure to say "Alexa, discover devices" for the new name to be updated.